Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bangarra

I have a feeling that a lot of parents with young kids feel devoid of energy for fun; like our engagement with music and other pursuits are in the past, a distant time when we had energy. I guess being in this particular situation with a depressed partner makes those things seem even more remote.

Lucky for me I was shaken out of that particular miserable delusion a few days ago. By chance a free ticket to see Bangarra Dance perform their new work - Earth and Sky - came my way.

I'll admit it here - I don't go to see dance or theatre very much. I feel vaguely embarrassed by the live aspect of both, by people putting themselves out in a such a vulnerable way in front of me. It's too intimate a lot of the time (particularly when it disappoints).

But I am so glad that I went. I really liked the fact that they had specific things to tell me through their dances. I was not left solely to my own interpretation of the movements on stage (afraid to be left to my own thoughts in a dark room no?).

I was amazed by the strength of feeling and clarity of understanding engendered by watching the dancers move, their costumes and sets, the music. I suppose this is why people go and see them. Now I know and I am converted. I will be saving my pennies (many hundreds of them unfortunately) to go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments on this post are welcome.